Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Breaking sports news from the source himself.

James Blake has pulled out of the Davis Cup against Spain due to fatigue, so Sam Querrey will replace him as the second singles player behind Andy Roddick. "I am excited to play Nadal and Ferrer in Spain on their clay courts," Querrey said. Sam is in Austin this week practicing at the Austin Tennis Academy(where I am a coach) before he leaves for Spain. He is currently the 39th ranked player in the world, putting him as the first alternate for a situation like this one.

The Americans are going into this Davis Cup match as definite underdogs. Spain throws two top 5 ranked players in for singles, and a very respected doubled duo to try and beat the tough American twins Bob and Mike Bryan. Standing a towering 6 feet 6inches tall with a powerful serve and intimidating ground strokes, clay would not appear to be the best surface for Sam and the other Americans. "Clay is actually one of my favorite surfaces," Querrey said, "I grew up playing on it some so I am comfortable on the dirt." It has more to do with where you grew up and what surfaces you played on as a kid when you are still young, Sam added. His recent experience playing Nadal at the US Open will prepare him for what is sure to be the most hostile environment he has ever played in. "Playing Nadal on Ashe Stadium was the best time I've ever had playing a match, even though I lost," Querrey said. "Hearing the crowd get behind me on a big point sent chills through my body every time."

Querrey, Roddick and the Bryan twins all found summer success and will be entering this Davis Cup showdown with plenty of confidence. They have nothing to lose with everybody picking Spain to win at home, so the time is right for an upset.

No comments: