Saturday, August 30, 2008

An election for the ages.

Having just recently turned 22, this is the first presidential election that I have paid attention to with any rigor. In the past, I have been quickly turned off at the first sign of personal attacks and petty accusations about things so far from politics that I cant find the point. Politicians sacrifice their personal respect to launch a few 'heart darts' in hopes of winning a couple more votes. This year however, I am completely hooked in to the passive aggressive and sometimes just aggressive tactics and strategies that the two parties use. Obama's speech closing the convention was far and away the most powerful and well delivered speech I have seen in my lifetime. Then to wake up the next morning to find the McCain people sending the media on a rat race to pin down their pick for vice president, ultimatly deciding on the least likely of candidates all in an attempt to underscore Obama's glory from the night before was endlessly entertaining. Maybe it's because I am older and understand the issues and the historical significance defining this election. Or maybe it's because for the first time people my age actually care, either way, I am hooked.

No comments: